Regular Updates Weekly

My name is Hallan Turrek. This is my blog.

Monday, October 5, 2009

Spoken Of

I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
Robert Oppenheimer

When I was seven years old, my mother went to work for this Jovian Librarian on New Caldari Prime. I went to work with her a lot, and that man was full of stories. He'd talk about history, he'd tell me fairy tales. Sometimes he'd talk about space, and the joys of flying in it.

Now I'd seen the holo's. And I though it was something I might want to do. After a few weeks of his stories I was sold. As soon as I was old enough, I enlisted in the Military, and I was one of the lucky ones. I was a capsuleer, and the holo's had prepared me. Money, Fame, Power... Only it wasn't like that. You grow up and it's not like that.

I've been a capsuleer for years, I've got no fear of death. I'm rich beyond imagining. My name is feared. I am a capsuleer, a god among men. I'm exactly where I wanted to be when I was a child and looked from my home world to the stars.

It's funny though, I pass by planets all the time. Some of them are as populated as New Caldari was, but I never give them a second glance. Concord put all these rules on us with regards to what we can do planet side. I prefer stations and ships.

Then a couple of days ago, I saw this news story on the Scope. Apparently Concord is rescinding the ban on Capsuleer run Planetary Governments. There was a lot of talk after the announcement from the news people about the possible impact of such a change. Alliance warfare. Faction warfare. War. Everyone's going to be fighting for a piece of the pie, and millions of people will be caught between us and what we want.

It reminded me of a fairy tale that old Jovian librarian told me once. There was this king and a god. and the god transformed into his true form to convince the king to do what he wanted. The god sprouted extra arms and grew tall. In each of his hands were instruments of war. The god looked down at the man and said, "Now I am become death, destroyer of worlds,"

I also recorded an audio version.

2 comments:

  1. Great post. Love the tie-in from an IC perspective. Also, good to hear your voice again, Hal. If you see me in game and want to chat on Hellcats Vent, convo or evemail me. Been too long, m'dear.

    ReplyDelete