Regular Updates Weekly

My name is Hallan Turrek. This is my blog.

Friday, December 5, 2008

Closer To Home: Chapter Eight

Through these fields of destruction
Baptisms of fire
I've witnessed your suffering
As the battle raged higher
And though they did hurt me so bad
In the fear and alarm
You did not desert me
My brothers in arms

There's so many different worlds
So many different suns
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

Now the sun's gone to hell
And the moon's riding high
Let me bid you farewell
Every man has to die
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms


"You're a real son of a bitch, you know that?" Hallan stood over a grave as water streamed down his face.

The gravestone was slick and shiny in the rain, with the words "Brother, Son, Friend," emblazened beneath his name. "Turrek," The sky above was almost black, and Hallan's face was clouded.

"I'll make sure they bury her here," He started, "I don't know who she was, but you cared,"

Hallan lifted his head and looked across the field of gravestones, it stretched into the distance, beyond his sight.

"We didn't get to talk much, the last time. So, you know, mom's still mom. I got hired by a pirate corp a month ago. I know you used to enjoy the stories. Why?" Hallan let the last word hang on the air a moment.

"It couldn't have been that bad. The bartender? Seriously? You call me up and say you want money? Tell me somebody's going to kill you," Hallan kneeled down beside the gravestone and leaned on it, "You're my brother. I didn't know,"

"You probably think this is funny, but I cut a path of destruction trying to find out who did this too you. The bartender was my first lead. I killed him so he couldn't warn anybody, figured he had it coming anyhow.

I must've watched the video twenty times. He's the guy. You could've taken him. You let him shoot you like a dog. Did you think it would save her?

It doesn't make me better. I thought he was innocent. I never claimed to be a good man. That was your thing.

I want you to know I love you and I cared about you. We'll meet again one day," Hallan stood up and sighed.

"I'll see ya around," He walked across the graves and to his taxi. He looked back at the grave for a moment, one long moment, and then sat down inside the car.

Somewhere above him, the clouds lessened, and a momentary ray of sunlight shined through, before the clouds closed again.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you'll let me use this story in my podcast project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh, after looking over the podcast project you're planning, it reminds me of something that I'd been planning a while back but realized I had no training for. I had always intended to turn this into an "audiobook" thing.

    It's not done quite yet though.

    Thing is, this is just a first draft, I sit down, open a blog post and start writing. When I'm done it goes up. It's obviously going to need a bit of work before I consider it seriously.

    That said, you'll probably be getting an email from me quite soon.

    One more chapter to go.

    ReplyDelete