Regular Updates Weekly

My name is Hallan Turrek. This is my blog.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Interview with Dan DeGagne

What is your ingame name?
Desparo. But I also fly under the name Mining Forman, Spry Jack and a few others

Links to your forum thread and site.
http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1065777&page=1
http://www.eve-manager.com/Desparo

So, how long have you been playing?
coming up on 1.5 years. Some good months some bad months

What have you done in Eve during that time?
Well almost all my time has been as a carebear. Busy roid killing, moon mining, ratting and mission running all while managing a corp of 50 active players and collaborating with other on an Alliance of 275. Its only in the last coule months I've been more into PVP. Not very successfully I might add but learning and having fun.

What real life experiences do you have that will aid you in your elected position?
In RL I'm a Computer Consultant specializing in databases, user interfaces, and communication.

I started my list of things that were wrong with EVE 2 days after I started playing and it hasn't stopped growing. The fact that I'm still playing is because there is so much here I do like and a lot of reasons I want to make a larger effort to improve it.

What do you think of the recent Bob/Goonswarm fiasco, including the renaming of Kenzoku?
I think that the disbanding of BoB by a disgruntled director was one of the most hilarious highlights of my time in EVE. I would point out that despite claims that it was Goonswarm who performed the dismemberment, they are only entitled to claim credit for the idea. The action itself was done internally and under accepted rules of EVE and until CCP chooses to improve alliance and corp security to make such activity more difficult it can happen to anyone.

The renaming twice by GM's on the other hand is very a questionable act. I've constantly riled against what I have considered poor customer service and preferential treatment that some players receive. That this was allowed to happen when so many others have been refused is a disgrace to CCP as a corporation. With GM's being judge, jury and executioner for policies in EVE I think they need to be above reproach. Something they are not even close to achieving at this point.

What do you think of the re balancing of ECM?
I've been expecting it for almost 6 months. When I trained my first PVP alt it was specifically for the falcon because of its superior abilities. The falcon certainly wasn't the undefeated king of the battlefield but in small engagements it ruled and fights degenerated into who could jam who first.
I do think that the changes weren't too significant to make the ships useless and in fact they made the rook actually useful. It certainly could have been worse

What do you think of the re balancing of Stealth Bombers?
Well I think the juries still out on whether or not they have become a viable tool on the battlefield. Certainly a lot of players were happy to dust off the old bombers and give them another try. The 4 fold increase in the prices of Arbalest siege launchers was a good indication. By the way, completely useless against sleepers. One of my SB wrecks is probably still orbiting a far distance sun never having a chance to fire a shot.

How much of an affect should players have on the broader Eve storyline?
I think that many players in EVE like to think that they are part of something and can have an effect on it. That was supposed to one of the goals when the introduced factional warfare. That it hasn't made any significant change suggests that it needs a serious rethink. The disbanding of Bob made more news and a far greater impact then factional warfare ever did.

Does it bother you that Veldspar is more profitable than any low sec minerals?
I don't know if it bothers me but it certainly doesn't make it easy when our Alliance discusses plans for lowsec and 0.0. Though I agree with CCP that I don't think they should take a hands on approach to controlling the market. They are in many ways responsible for the currently situation. I think they seriously under estimated the appeal of the orca and over estimated the effects it would have on the price of minerals in highsec. When I started back in 07 the price of trit was around 1.75. The climb to 4 wasn't a sudden spike but a slow gradual increase that only continued with the introduction of the orca.

What's your opinion on current war declaration mechanics?
Its certainly flawed. But I don't see that there's gonna be an easy fix. There isn't anything CCP can do that will make everyone happy. Lots of things they can do that will make no one happy.

What is the single largest imbalance in game, and how would you fix it?
I think many long term players and even CCP under-estimate the value of new players. When you've only been playing for only a little while and everything you own is sitting in the slots of the ship your flying, does it really make sense that your risking everything to play in a universe you still know nothing about?

Because I think last moments of many of these peoples lives in EVE ends with nothing but a pod and a form email from Security Commerce Commission sympathizing with them over the loose of what was everything they owned. I've been there and only through the generosity of the pirate who podded me in the first place did I continue to play.

I'm not saying in anyway do I want EVE to become Happy Kitty land or even WoW. But I think that CCP can make some simple changes so that new players can get a chance to experience the incredible wonders (and pains) that EVE has to offer.

Anything to add?
EVE owes it success to many things. Some of it is the universe we live in and the unique way we can interact in it.

But some of it is owed to the fact that its the only show in town at the moment. But its a poor way to run a company and we know that's not gonna last. If CCP wants to keep itself alive in the long run they have to start make some changes. I do think that the CSM is unique for MMO's and an opportunity for players to feel like more participants in its future. Not just passengers on a train wreck.

No comments:

Post a Comment